I am planning to write a songbook (LaTex, Lilypond) of christmas/seasonal songs and am looking for the right license to pick. Some parameters of the project:
- The book currently is planned with songs in the public domain
- I am toying with the idea to include songs from other open source projects with free licenses (like Unlincense)
- I might slightly alter some songs (at least the chords)
- The book will be collaboratively created between me and some few friends
- I am planning to place the contents in a private github/gitlab repository
- The book will not be published freely, only some few copies for the collaborators will be created
- The book will not be used for public singing, only domestic music
I have the following questions:
- Do I need to pick a license, if I don't plan to publish the book?
- What would be a good license?
- What happens, if I don't pick a license?
- What happens, if I want to include non-free songs?