We are developing an application which will be Open Source (code), however there are few libraries which are either paid or commercial. We have liaised with original developers/parties and agreed to distribute Uglified and/or DLL version of these libraries with our source code with appropriate link to how to buy and include these libraries in your project if you are planning to use/extend the project.

Most of our code is JavaScript (frontend), C# (backend) & Unity (the game). Each of these components uses combination of Commercial & Copyleft libraries.

So can someone educate us on which licensing template we should be using for the project.

  • What precise proprietary libraries are you exactly using, and what are their licensing? – Basile Starynkevitch Jan 27 '16 at 14:11
  • Some libraries that we are planning to use are Sencha Ext JS & Rappid - JointJS. Which are commercially licensed. And we will be including compiled/obfuscated version of their source. – Wh0RU Jan 27 '16 at 16:23
  • That should go into the question. And you might ask your proprietary libraries providers if you can do what you intend to – Basile Starynkevitch Jan 27 '16 at 16:31

An open-source project can use proprietary libraries if the proprietary libraries in question allow for it. For the OS-part you can use a permissive license (MIT, BSD, Apache), which is allowing to combine it with works under different licenses. As you talk about libraries even some copyleft-licenses are OK, as long as linking isn't counted as derivate work (so LGPL is ok, GPL or AGPL aren't).

What confuses me a bit is you talking about C# and Unity using commercial and copyleft-licenses. Are these the libraries you use under commercial license? Or are you using them with copyleft and different libraries in proprietary license? If the second, then the copyleft-license influences your project and might prohibit the combination with proprietary licensed stuff (depending on the license in question).

  • For C# & Unity bits, its combination of commercial & opensource licenses. – Wh0RU Jan 21 '16 at 15:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.