I have built an application using Windows Forms Desktop Application in C++/CLI, I am also using NuGet Package for MySQL.data as well as I am using MySQL code for the application.

I need to add a license to the project so which license should I add??

Windows Forms comes under MIT License

NuGet Package comes under Apache 2.0 license according to Wikipedia

MySQL code and connector comes under GPL v2 license

Also I am confused if Windows Forms Application uses .NET or .NET Framework and both are under what type of License

  • Anyone please.?
    – superflash
    Jul 5, 2021 at 3:10
  • I would be very glad if someone could please help me out in this situation
    – superflash
    Jul 5, 2021 at 17:14
  • Could you clarify what you mean by "I am using MySQL code for the application"? Do you literally mean you're taking code which is currently part of MySQL and copying it into your application?
    – MadHatter
    Jul 7, 2021 at 6:05
  • I am using C++/CLI to use the MySQL.data dll to send queries and receive data from MySQL server. I have written MySQL command in c++ code
    – superflash
    Jul 7, 2021 at 7:08
  • So your program is all your own code, but dynamically links to the MySQL library?
    – MadHatter
    Jul 7, 2021 at 7:10

1 Answer 1


I am not familiar with the packages you have listed, but you have confirmed that one of them is a library, so I will assume all the others are.

There is debate about whether dynamically-linking your work to a library makes your work a derivative, in copyright terms, of the library. We have questions here that present the arguments that it does and that it doesn't, but the answer at the moment is that nobody knows.

Personally, I believe that it does, and in any case it's a safer bet to behave as if it does until the question is resolved. The MIT and Apache licences oblige you to preserve copyright notifications and some licence text, although they don't require that the derivative work be covered by those licences. The GPL has more obligations, which include applying the GPL to the derivative work as a whole. So on this analysis, the answer to

I need to add a license to the project so which license should I add?

is "GPLv2".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.