I have forked and modified a legacy open-source NPM package for my personal use. And I thought publishing my modification might be useful for others.
The "heavily modified" in my case is:
- Due to client-side limitations some functionality has been removed but still retains the functions that are the main goal of this package.
Overall: The modified package is not compatible with original version and cannot be merged together.
I have contributed to few open-source project but never forked and publishing it as a separate project. So, here's my question:
- The LGPL-3.0 allow the modification and distribution on conditions to disclosure source and state changes.
- Is it enough to just stated in the readme as "forked of ..." and about the modification I made?
- Publishing on NPM
- Does "disclosure source" means to list original author as the package author? Or can I publish it under my name with author as contributors?
- The package is 7 years old and not actively maintained (the last commit is 7 months ago)
- The package is licensed under the LGPL-3.0 License