The website uses multiple MIT-licensed (or similar licenses) 'code':
- Several SVG icons from Wikimedia commons (Icon 1, Icon 2, Icon 3).
- Code I copied and significantly modified from an Observable Notebook which is ISC licensed.
- The d3.js library (BSD 3-Clause) (which I don't think is relevant, but I'm listing it anyway).
After a lot of research, I got to the conclusion that I need to have the following text:
Copyright 2017–2020 Observable, Inc. Permission to use, copy, modify, and/or distribute this software for any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE. Copyright (c) 2011–2013 VisualEditor team <https://git.wikimedia.org/blob/mediawiki%2Fextensions%2FVisualEditor.git/master/AUTHORS.txt> Copyright (c) 2011–2017 OOjs UI Team and other contributors <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/diffusion/GOJU/browse/master/AUTHORS.txt> Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions: The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software. THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
- The About Page (and I should create one).
- Any existing documentation.
- README ?
- And most importantly in a comment at the beginning of the .html and .js files (I have only one for each)
My questions are:
- Which parts of the text are necessary and what can be discarded?
- Am I forgetting something that needs to be added?
- Questions (1) and (2) again but regarding the places to put the text in.
- General remarks and suggestions are also more than welcome :)
I copied the permission notice only once for each license type (once for MIT and once for ISC).
I copied the copyright notice only once for each author (Icon 2 and Icon 3 are both by "OOjs UI Team and other contributors", so I wrote
Copyright (c) 2011–2017 OOjs UI Team and other contributorsonly once)
Thanks in advance :)