Is making and using multiple copies within one organization or company “distribution”?
No, in that case the organization is just making the copies for itself. As a consequence, a company or other organization can develop a modified version and install that version through its own facilities, without giving the staff permission to release that modified version to outsiders.
However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations or individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies to contractors for use off-site is distribution.
- We make software for internal use
- The company operates in several countries.
- There is one registered company in country A, one in country B. Country A is outside the EU, country B is inside the EU.
- All internally created software is developed and used by people in both countries.
- If we use GPL-licensed libraries in the software we produce, what rules apply?