What are the limitations and constraints if one wants to implement the same idea in different languages requiring different licenses?
To make it more concrete, say some algorithm should be implemented in R (under the GPL3 license) and Python (under the MIT license).
I'm in particular interested in the following scenarios:
- R and Python package are developed jointly
- R package already exists, Python package is developed later
- Python package already exists, R package is developed later
In cases 2. and 3. the the goal is to re-use the existing content
My presumptions are:
- is not problematic at all
- is problematic because the Python package would be derived work and thus not compatible with a license change to MIT
- is not problematic because the MIT license is permissive
- Are my presumptions correct?
- What is the best way to re-implement / port GPL code to MIT with re-using the already existing content? Is this possible at all, or should does everything be written from scratch?