I want to try a WYSIWYG editor in my closed-source application and I'm wondering if what I want to do is legal.
- I create an OSS project (GPL license) that contains the editor of my choice
- I deploy it to the cloud
- In my closed-source application I use it through an
As far as I know as long as the project is not using AGPL I can do this, am I correct?
Clarification: There are 3 projects involved:
- GPL WYSIWYG editor
- A GPL wrapper project for this editor that exposes it as a service
- A proprietary project that uses this service through an
- The user loads the site
- The site has a textarea that contains markdown
- Then it calls a webservice with the html and gets back html content (containing the iframe and the embedded WYSIWYG editor)
- The user interacts with the editor and when they click save
- The modified HTML data is extracted from the iframe, converted back to markdown and the textarea's content is overwritten
Note that there are no files being edited, only HTML travels as a byte array to the webservice and from the iframe.